What exactly is a home inventory?
It is a list of your personal possessions along with their estimated financial value.
What are personal possessions?
Figuratively speaking if you were to pick up your home and start shaking it, everything flying through the air would be personal possessions. clothes, dresser, bed, refrigerator, artwork, collections, toys, silverware, jewelry, food storage, dishes, utensils, lawn mower, tools, camping gear, toothbrushes, cosmetics, you get the idea.
Disasters happen even in areas where you don't think they would. This PBS Documentary about the 2021 Marshall Fire in Colorado speaks to this point very well. Would you be able to remember all your possessions in the event of a fire, or other incident? Having an up-to-date home inventory helps in many ways!
- Faster insurance claim settlement
- Loss verification for income tax returns
- Proper valuation estimates for your property insurance coverage levels
- Peace of mind knowing you do not need to remember everything during a catastrophe
Is a home inventory hard to create?
A home inventory can be created in a simple, low-tech manner by simply writing down everything in a notebook and keeping receipts in a folder. Be sure to store them in a safe location and have a backup copy somewhere away from your home. You can also use technology such as digital photos or videos to make a digital record. There are also apps you can use to capture and store your information. Having a home inventory streamlines the claims process significantly when efficiency and timeliness is most important.
- Pick an easy place to start
- List recent purchases
- Include basic information
- Count clothing by general category
- Record serial numbers
- Remember those items stored in an offsite location
- Keep proof of value
- Do not be overwhelmed, just do one room or section at a time
Contact ALINK Insurance for a FREE HOME INSURANCE ANALYSIS today.
Request a quote or call/text.
Colorado Springs: (719) 473-6262
Parker: (303) 752-6479
Sarasota Springs: (385) 382-0037